- WSMA Festival Dates and Locations
UPDATED LIST FOR 2015-2016 COMING SOON!
|March 2016 Back to top|
|April 2016 Back to top|
|May 2016 Back to top|
WSMA District Festivals involve more than 220,000 students each year. Given the unpredictability of the weather, it is essential for WSMA to establish clear procedures for weather emergencies for District Festivals. The final decision to host a WSMA Festival during inclement weather is made by the Festival Manager, Principal, Superintendent and other school officials as deemed necessary.
The District Festival Manager should obtain personal cellular phone and/or home phone numbers for all participating festival directors.
Participating directors, principals and superintendents should agree on an alternate festival date and location prior to the scheduled festival in case of inclement weather. The alternate festival date should be as close to the original festival date as possible to save piano rental costs.
Principals, superintendents and music teachers from participating schools must determine if it is safe for buses to transport students to the festival location as soon as possible when inclement weather is forecasted.Options for inclement weather include:
A. A one or two-hour delay in the festival schedule to allow roads to be cleared.
B. Reschedule the festival. This should be done as a last resort due to the number of students from different schools involved, pianos rented, and judges who travel to the festival.
C. If Option A or B take place:
1) Festival Manager must notify all judges via cellular and/or home phone numbers. If any judges are not able to fulfill their judging contract, please notify WSMA immediately.
2) Festival Manager must notify all participating directors who should inform their students, principal and superintendent.
3) A school official should contact the local radio station(s) or television station(s) to inform them of changes, and ask for immediate broadcast.The host district’s superintendent will know which stations to contact.
4) Festival Manager must notify WSMA’s Festival Coordinator with all changes, including alternate date.
Every effort should be made to reschedule the festival involving at least three schools. If schools are absolutely unable to find a workable alternate festival date, each school must notify WSMA of the date of their individual school’s festival so WSMA can assist with obtaining adjudicators. Individual school festivals are a last resort.
The subsidy check sent to the Festival Manager should be used to pay piano rental costs, if any were incurred. The remaining funds should be divided among participating schools according to the percentage of original entries.
- If a judge is not notified of a cancelled festival and arrives at the festival location, the judge must be paid full mileage plus $25.00. This amount should also come from the subsidy check. The remaining subsidy amount should be divided among the participating schools according to the number of entries.