- Wisconsin School Music Association
WSMA is proud to be a partner with more than 3,500 music teachers and school administrators in the education of more than 100,000 students who annually participate in our activities. The association, including more than 1,000 member schools, is governed by a board of directors consisting of school administrators elected from 10 geographic districts, three elected officers from Wisconsin Music Educators Association, the state music consultant, a community representative and a representative from the Wisconsin Association of School Boards. Under their leadership, WSMA has created a Strategic Plan to guide us as we challenge our youth to achieve excellence through music. Learn more about WSMA and its partnering organizations at the Wisconsin Center for Music Education in the "Understanding Your State Associations & Foundation" presentation (PDF).
In Wisconsin schools and communities, all have access to enriching musical opportunities that assure a lifetime of involvement and enjoyment.
To ensure that all students have opportunities which encourage lifelong involvement in music, Wisconsin School Music Association will provide statewide music programming activities, offer leadership and support for school music programs, and advance music as an integral part of the school curriculum and community life.
- We believe music is a basic human need.
- We believe the study of music develops life skills.
- We believe the study of music is a vital part of every student's education.
- We believe a high-quality, comprehensive, inclusive music curriculum should be offered to all students at all levels.
- We believe a comprehensive study of music involves performing, creating, reading, listening and responding to music and should be available for all students at all levels.
- We believe a music program is most effective when there is sensitivity to scope and sequence of musical knowledge for all students at all levels.
- We believe the study of music develops creativity, self-expression, discipline and teamwork.
- We believe music education positively influences other disciplines and professions.
- We believe a quality music program has a positive impact on school climate and community life.
- We believe participation in school music encourages lifelong learning, involvement and appreciation of music.